Sergey Korovin, in full Sergey Konstantinovich Korovin, was born on May 24, 1945, in Moscow in a family of clerks. After finishing secondary school no. 713 with a silver medal (1963), he entered the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (MIPT), at the Department of Radio Engineering and Cybernetics and graduated from it in 1969.
From 1969 to 1975, Korovin worked at the Institute of Automation and Remote Control (IARC), the USSR Academy of Sciences, first as Engineer and then as Junior Researcher. During his simultaneous postgraduate studies at IARC (1971—1974), Korovin defended his candidate dissertation’s “Optimization Algorithms in Sliding Modes” (1975). From 1975 to 1996, he worked at the Institute for Systems Analysis (ISA, the USSR Academy of Sciences; nowadays, the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS)) as Leading Researcher. In 1984, he defended at ISA his doctoral dissertation “Control Systems with Automatically Regulated Couplings.”
From 1989, Korovin worked at Moscow State University (MSU); from 1996, he was Professor at the Department of Nonlinear Dynamic Systems and Control Processes, the Faculty of Computational Mathematics and Cybernetics (MSU).
From 1975 to 1990, Korovin was Associate Professor at the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (presently, the National University of Science and Technology MISIS); from 1989 to 1996, Professor at MSU; from 1996, Leading Researcher at ISA RAS.
Also, Korovin received the academic titles of Senior Researcher (1981), Associate Professor (1983), and Professor (1990).
Korovin was elected Corresponding Member of RAS (1994) and Full Member of RAS (2000). He was awarded the State Prize of the Russian Federation (1994), the USSR Council of Ministers Prize (1981), the Andronov Prize of RAS (2000), and the Lomonosov Prize of MSU in Science (1st degree) (2002).
For many years, Korovin was a member of the editorial boards of the RAS journals Differential Equations and Doklady Akademii Nauk as well as a member of the Higher Attestation Commission (HAC) of the Russian Federation. He was also a bureau member of the RAS Department of Information Technologies and Computing Systems, Chairman of the Computer Science Section of the RAS Commission on Gold Medals and Awards for young researchers, a member of three dissertation councils for academic degrees and titles (MSU, ISA RAS), and a member of the Councils of the Ministry of Education on mathematics and computer science.
His main scientific results concern the control of complex dynamic systems. They were obtained in the following areas: discontinuous self-optimization, global controllability and stabilizability of nonlinear systems, robust stability, variable structure discrete systems, dynamic systems with automatically regulated couplings, new types of feedback, stabilization of discrete singularly perturbed systems, geometrical analysis methods for control and optimization systems, high-order sliding modes, observations under uncertainty, stabilization of bilinear systems, and robust inversion of dynamic systems.
At MSU, Korovin delivered lectures on three courses as follows: Feedback Theory, Introduction to the Theory of Stabilization of Nonlinear Dynamic Systems, and Mathematical Foundations of Control Theory. He supervised the All-Russian Seminar “Nonlinear Dynamic Systems: Qualitative Analysis and Control.” In addition, Korovin trained 15 candidates of sciences.
He (co)authored 250 scientific publications, including 50 inventions.
Korovin’s main monographs are as follows:
- Matematicheskie metody teorii upravleniya. Problemy ustoichivosti, upravlyaemosti i nablyudaemosti (Mathematical Methods of Control Theory. Problems of Stability, Controllability, and Observability), Moscow: Fizmatlit, 2013. — 200 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov, A.V. Il’in, V.V. Fomichev, and A.S. Fursov);
- Metody identifikatsii promyshlennykh ob”ektov v sistemakh upravleniya (Identification Methods for Industrial Objects in Control Systems), Kemerovo—Moscow: Rossiiskie Universitety, 2007. — 307 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov, L.P. Myshlyaev, et al.);
- Homotopy of Extremal Problems. Theory and Applications, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2007. — 303 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov, N.A. Bobylev, and A.V. Bulatov);
- Nelineinaya dinamika i protsessy upravleniya. Vvedenie v spetsial’nost’ (Nonlinear Dynamics and Control Processes. An Introduction to Speciality), Moscow: MAKS Press, 2004. — 192 p. (coauthor S.V. Emelyanov);
- Metody nelineinogo analiza v zadachakh upravleniya i optimizatsii (Nonlinear Analysis Methods in Control and Optimization Problems), Moscow: Editorial URSS, 2002. — 120 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov, and N.A. Bobylev);
- Gomotopii ekstremal’nykh zadach (Homotopies of Extremal Problems), Moscow: Nauka, 2001. — 350 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov, N.A. Bobylev, and A.V. Bulatov);
- Control of Complex and Uncertain Systems: New Types of Feedback, London: Springer, 2000. — 322 p. (coauthor S.V. Emelyanov);
- Geometrical Methods in Variational Problems, Mathematics and Its Applications, vol. 485, Springer, 1999, — 539 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov);
- Geometricheskie metody v variatsionnykh zadachakh (Geometrical Methods in Variational Problems), Moscow: Magistr, 1998. — 658 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov and N.A. Bobylev);
- Topologicheskie metody v variatsionnykh zadachakh (Topological Methods in Variational Problems), Moscow: Moscow State University, 1997. (coauthor N.A. Bobylev);
- Novye tipy obratnoi svyazi: upravlenie pri neopredelennosti (New Feedback Types: Control under Uncertainty), Moscow: Nauka, Fizmatlit, 1997. — 352 p. (coauthor S.V. Emelyanov);
- Variable-Structure Control Systems: Discrete and Digital, Moscow: MIR Publishers; Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1994. — 316 p. (coauthors S.V. Emelyanov and I.G. Mamedov);
- Approximation Procedures in Nonlinear Oscillation Theory, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 1994. — 269 p. (coauthors N.A. Bobylev and Yu.M. Burman).
Many books are presented in the Institute’s database:
The list of journal papers by Korovin can be found at Math-Net.Ru:
His publications, including inventions, are also available at:
In addition, see the Institute’s database:
Articles about S.K. Korovin
Academician S. K. Korovin (24.05.1945—7.12.2011),
Inform. Primen., 2012, 6:1, 150.
|2.||S. V. Emelyanov, V. A. Il’in, N. N. Krasovskii, A. B. Kurzhanskii, E. F. Mishchenko, E. I. Moiseev, Yu. S. Osipov, N. Kh. Rozov, V. A. Sadovnichy, I. V. Gaishun, N. A. Izobov, and T. K. Shemjakina, Sergei Konstantinovich Korovin (A Tribute in Honor of His Sixtieth Birthday), Differ. Uravn., 2005, 41:5, 579—588.|
The 60th Birthday of Academician Sergei Konstantinovich Korovin,
Avtomat. i Telemekh., 2005:5, 5—6.
Also, see the Wikipedia page devoted to Korovin:
Scopus Author ID: 7006021306