Lev Fitsner, in full Lev Nikolaevich Fitsner, Dr. Sci. (Eng.), Professor, completed his life as Head of the Laboratory of Self-Adjusting Systems at the Institute of Automation and Remote Control, the USSR Academy of Sciences. He was one of the most talented students of Professor A.A. Feldbaum.
Fitsner was awarded the USSR State Prize (then called the Stalin Prize of the 1st degree) for his outstanding work in nonlinear analog computers.
Fitsner was a leading expert on search automatic control systems for complex production tasks. In particular, he developed an industrial control system for processing blade surfaces of high-speed turbine plants to increase production output with a significant quality improvement.
In the last years of his life, Fitsner studied control systems in living organisms, particularly control of motor and muscular activities. He proposed several bold and interesting hypotheses about control systems based on search operation principles.
Fitsner’s main books are as follows:
- Avtomaticheskaya optimizatsiya v zadachakh prostranstvennogo raspredeleniya (Automatic Optimization in Spatial Distribution Problems), Moscow: Nauka, 1978. – 160 p. (coauthors E.E. Gachinskii and A.I. Drozdov);
- Biologicheskie poiskovye sistemy (Biological Search Systems), Moscow: Nauka, 1977. – 138 p.;
- Upravlenie koordinatsiei dvizheniya (Control of Movement Coordination), Moscow: Nauka, 1971. – 56 p.;
- O zakonomernostyakh nervno-myshechnoi sistemy upravleniya koordinatsiei dvizhenii (On the Regularities of the Neuromuscular Control System of Movement Coordination), Moscow: Institute of Control Sciences, the USSR Academy of Sciences, 1969. – 59 p.;
- Optimizatsiya prostranstvennogo raspredeleniya (avtomaticheskii raspredelitel’ pripuska) (Spatial Distribution Optimization (An Automatic Allowance Distributor)), Moscow: Energiya, 1966. – 63 p. (coauthor E.E. Gachinskii).
They can be found in the Institute’s database:
Some of Fitsner’s journal papers are available at Math-Net.Ru: